I just love Christmastime so much more with having a small child. I love the whole traditions aspect of it and making memories. It's about so much more than presents, parties and it seems that society likes to focus on that. It just warms my heart to know that one day Jacob will look back and remember the little things we did as a family and maybe pass them to his own family.
I have to say that this year has been the most fun with Jacob being 3 and really reacting to everything with more enthusiasm than ever before. So, I want to take the time to write down the traditions that are so special to our family and maybe we'll add to this list as years go on. I really do believe that I overcompensate for what I missed in my childhood so my list might be long.
In no particular order....
1. Elf on the shelf. I bought a cheap elf and there is the concept that the elf is watching to report to Santa all the good and bad things we're doing. He moves around each day and Jacob has to find him. We have been such slackers in that department. I always forget to move him and Jacob notices and in the whiniest tone he says, "Buddy didn't moooooove". We named ours Buddy.
2. We have a Jesse Tree. I hope we can do more with this as he gets older and can understand the meaning behind each symbol and the scripture that supports it.
3. Since we don't have a chimney we hang a santa key on the front door so he can get in. My mom bought it from Hallmark. We hang it before going to bed on Christmas Eve.
4. We of course bake lots of treats and cookies for santa and leave him a note. Santa always writes back too. We are going to go out on the lawn and sprinkle raindeer food (AKA a mixture of oatmeal and glitter).
5. We will decorate a cake and sing happy birthday to Jesus.
6. We are aiming on doing a tacky light tour but that's a big MAYBE if Robbie doesn't start feeling better soon (sinus infection).
7. We make a gingerbread house at our Church. Will do that this Sunday. (photos to come and it won't be a house we're making) Can you possibly imagine what it could be? Hint...chooo chooo
8. Each night we read the child's version of the Christmas story. On Christmas Eve we'll read it from the Bible.
9. We watch lots of Christmas movies when we have the chance. The current fav is Rudolph and I have to admit that I'm pretty sick of that movie now. I hear that mean santa in my sleep yelling at the poor elf that just wants to be a dentist. "WHAAAAAT? A DENTIST?"
10. We put a shoebox together for a special child through the Operation Christmas Child program. BTW, I volunteered at their warehouse last weekend and it was amazing!
11. Christmas Eve service at church to do communion and simply humble ourselves before the Lord. I love that peaceful time to reflect on Jesus.
12. We buy an ornament for Jacob each year. When he's grown he can have them for his own tree, if I can part with them:-)
That's all that I can think of now and I'm sure we'll add and adjust as we grow and expand as a family.
I hope you have a fun time building and enjoying your family's traditions.

2 comments:
We are doing that ornament thing too where Noah picks one out each year for his collection!
What is a Jesse tree?
Here is a good link that explains it. Robbie's mom gave me the little ornaments for each symbol and you put one on the tree each day and read the scripture behind each symbol. We small metal tree that we hang them on.
http://www.cresourcei.org/jesse.html
Post a Comment