Life with a baby

All I have to say is boy have I been spoiled with an older child the past few years. Having a baby is hard work! Wheew Weeee. I'm a bit tired to say the least. It's just a life adjustment for this season of our lives. I wouldn't trade it for the world but I have to admit the other night when Ava wanted to pull an all-nighter and did so from 11pm - 6am, I was wishing time away.

She's doing great though and is a pretty easy baby. Rarely fusses except when she's hungry or getting a diaper change...so far. I know how they can change in an instant. And this girl likes to eat and my body has responded in a major way. LOL I did have to seek the help of a lactation consultant this time around and that was most helpful to keeping things going and for my sanity.

She's so fun to have around and learn about. Here are a few things I've learned about Ava.

-She LOVES sponge baths and the sound of running water. It instantly calms her down.

-She eats a lot and often spits up (probably from over-eating)

-She's not big on her paci which is fine by me.

-Has her days and nights mixed up

-Will sleep so soundly in her bassinet during the day but at night she is instantly awaken by me putting her down in it...which has resulted in her and I camping out on the couch. Every night I vow to nip that in the bud but what am I to do? Tips?

-Was 1oz. above her birth weight at one week old. Is wearing Newborn sized clothes and might have already reached the 7lb. mark by now.

-Has some pretty angry expressions and a second later will smile in her sleep.

-Lost her umbillical cord stump Friday night...much quicker than Jacob did.

Jacob is still enjoying his baby sister and has been so so helpful in fetching things. He knows where the diapers and burp rags are and is so eager to help out. Such a cute and efficient dude to have around. We keep telling him that she's not an animal, even though her noises may make you think so, because he always asks if he can "pet" her.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

To help with the day and night confusion, put her bassinet in a darker room, and wake her after two hours. Then bring her into a very light room with all the blind thrown open. It has only taken me two to three days to clear this up with my kids. I must say I still miss those days of having a newborn around.

Kimberly said...

Ugh - I've got no words of wisdom that you won't already find in a book or online. Those early baby days kicked my butt. :)

Lucky for you, you have an accomplished and more able little helper than I did at the time.

Take it easy. Though they are exhausting days, they hurry by. We already look at pics and videos of Anna last year and ooh and aaah over all the changes...and then Praise the Lord we are past them. :)