Ava's Birth Story

Just last Monday on November 16, 2009, 3 weeks shy of her due date, I woke up feeling pretty normal, took Jacob to school and was off to work. I noticed that I was getting around a little slower that morning and on the car drive to work I felt some menstrual type cramping. (Keep in mind I had never felt a labor pain with Jacob since he was a planned c/s for being breech). I thought nothing of it and figured it could be something I asked my doctor about during my apt. later that day. I went on to work and again was pretty slow at moving around the office and even had some cramping that I had to stop talking to get through. Again, nothing too alarming or worth timing. I went on to my apt. and of course mentioned it to my doctor and she checked my cervix and noted that I was measuring at 3cm (the week before I was 1cm). She thought it would be wise to hook me up and do a NST (non-stress test). I was having pretty strong contractions that I had to breathe through at this point and they were 6 min. apart. With Ava being breech, she was afraid to send me home if I was in the beginning stages of labor and decided to send me to the hospital to get an IV in hopes that it was hydration-related. I made the call to Robbie, who was getting off of work and on his way to pick up Jacob. He had to call his brother to come to our house to watch Jacob while he came to be with me in case this was IT. I got all settled in with my IV and a doctor came in to check me once again and she said I was 4cm and my bag of water was bulging and on the verge of breaking and declared that in just an hour or so we'd meet our baby girl via c-section. I was soooo very nervous about her health. It was borderline that her lungs would be strong enough to not need any assistance. Robbie got there and by that time I was having some seriously painful contractions on top of each other. They went ahead and gave me the epidural since I was going to need it for the c/s anyway and felt sooo much better after. Robbie and I prayed together and I did feel an amazing peace about it all. They wheeled me into the OR and I noted how relaxed everyone around me was. People were smiling, there was background music, Robbie was by my side with tons of encouragement. I only had one spell where I thought I was going to vomit and faint but with some drugs, I got over it quickly. They got to work and all was well with the world at 7:45pm when they pulled her out and she starting crying instantly. I couldn't contain my emotions. She was CRYING, HEALTHY, PERFECT! PRAISE GOD! I immediately noticed that she had hair.

6lbs. 7oz, 19 inches, a healthy girl.

Photobucket

Then I got to hold her perfect self, I was in love!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I got quite a bit of time with her after to nurse and hold her. She went to the regular nursery and by chance a friend of mine was working in there and handled her when she arrived. She had a spell of the shakes due to low blood sugar that they cured with a touch of formula and she hasn't had an issue ever since.

Unfortunately the hospital has a new policy, because of the flu, that doesn't allow visitors under the age of 18 so Jacob had to wait until we got home to meet his sister. He is smitten with her and being so awesome about her being here. He just gets the giggles when he holds her.

Photobucket

We're doing great with her here. She loves to eat and as of today, just one week after her arrival, she's back to her birthweight.

Photobucket

I'll leave you with this super cute shot of her leaving the hospital.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

oh my goodness, I see you in that teeny tiny little face.

That shot of her in the hat at the end is so very precious.

I just devoured this post. Loved reading all the details!

Jacob's giggles in that picture are contagious. I giggled out loud with him!

Y'all are too, too cute - all of you!

Unknown said...

Thanks Kim! I have myself a look a alike according to my own baby pics:-)

Julie Nickerson said...

oh my goodness I can't get over her beautiful face. She is just so pretty!

I cried when I saw that picture of Jacob holding her. That is precious. I hope Abel is smitten with his new sibling. He REALLY wants a baby sister.

I love that hat. We need to use that at her newborn session. I'm so excited to see you guys!!!

Unknown said...

Julie, I know Abel will love his little bro/sis. I can't wait to know what you're having. I totally see a girl in your future and you never know, Jacob called this baby a girl from the moment we told him about the baby.

I can't wait for you to come!