Aha!

This past Sunday at church I was teaching our class (small women's group where we alternate teaching each Sunday). The lesson really spoke to me yesterday. We've been in the book of Samuel and are at the point where David takes his kingship. Once David acquired Jerusalem and made that the capitol he wanted to move the Ark there. One of the deliverers touched the ark, good intentions, but died right there. God had previously given strict directions to not touch the Holy things or they would die. He was good on His word! Well...David was afraid, not the good kind of fear from the Lord, but afraid and disappointed and decided the Ark should be put in a tent. David had a palace and started to feel guilty that he had a fine palace and God's Ark was sitting outside in a tent. It was then that David decided to build a temple for the Lord BUT God stopped him and told him that HE was going to take care of David.

How often are we to take action on well meaning things for the Lord but we forget to pray and ask God about it? How often do I do that? Many times. Many times do I say "yes" when asked to serve at Church without praying for it? For the small things, yes, I do this. Why would God be disapproving of such well meaning acts when they are for Him? It's puzzling but God is in control of EVERYTHING and should be. I am so quick to take big decisions to God when I don't know what to do. Waiting for God to give me direction. But, I'm reminded now that I need to ask His guidance for even those good things I want to do for Him. This is all part of living for His purposes. We're here for HIM, right?!

This revelation of mine is in no way supporting the "do nothing" attitude but to take everything to God. Nine times out of ten I think He'll bless your well-meaning plan. I don't know about you but I always want His blessing before I do anything!

I love GOD! I love how He uses His Word to speak to us just when we're able to comprehend it. There is so much to be revealed to me in His Word.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hey now, miss thing - I didn't know you taught bible class type stuff! You were holdin' out on us in college now weren't ya?! :)

Super insight - coincidently, I just learned that same lesson this past spring in another book study - Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.

Neat how you learn so much more by teaching, huh?

Unknown said...

Now. I just do it once a month so it's not all THAT! We do a discussion-based lesson so as long as the other women are willing to talk, it's not all that hard. I do enjoy teaching for the simple fact that it forces me to dig deeper into a lesson than I would normally.